Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sweet Cedar Kyphii Incense- Batch 1

I've made my own incense for years.  Partially because I couldn't stand that thick artificially scented stuff, and also for the sheer joy of making something myself to use ceremonially.  However, the incense I've made has usually been from mixing different resins, and with a makko powder base. It works, I roll little sticks or form cones, mixing in other resins and sometimes essential oils. 

It wasn't until this year that I tried making a bioregional incense.  An incense that I (mostly) wildcrafted, one that not only smells beautiful but is truly la medicina for the soul. (And, with all the allergies I've had this year, one that was going to be good for my lungs as well!) 

Cedar, Rose Petals, and Cottonwood buds: My foundation

I started with cedar that I harvested this spring. In some Native American traditions cedar is used for blessings, and put on the ceremonial fire with intentions and prayers. Rose petals, of course! And anyone who knows my love affair with cottonwood trees and cottonwood medicine would not be surprised to find this in my incense. 

The mixing began, and continued for a literal 3 months on my altar. I added white sage, mullein, elder berries, pine pitch, honey, Ansel's home brew meade,  local beeswax, and frankincense. (It's not entirely bioregional, I did harvest the pine pitch and white sage in Colorado, and the frankincense is from Egypt.) If you didn't know, mullein smoke actually helps to clear the lungs. More on that here.


The end result is lov-er-ly! I could not be more pleased with this incense. It is truly a "Food for the Gods." I recommend burning it on a coal (the kind you'd use for a hookah, or one from your wood stove or ceremonial fire), and using it ceremonially. Set your intentions and let the smoke carry your prayers to the heavens.

Blessed be!



No comments:

Post a Comment